The Camera Monitor Guide to Transform Your Smartphone into a Pro Camera Monitor
In the world of professional cinematography, the need for a reliable camera monitor is undeniable. But what if I told you that you could transform your smartphone, yes, the one you carry in your pocket, into a professional-grade camera monitor? In this comprehensive camera monitor guide, we’ll explore two methods to achieve this feat: through smartphone apps and using a third-party accessory, the Accsoon Seemo. By the end of this article, you’ll have a clear understanding of the advantages and disadvantages of each technique.
But why do we need a camera monitor?
1. Screen Size: A camera monitor’s screen size matters because it directly affects the clarity and detail of what you’re viewing. A larger screen provides a better visual experience, especially when you’re dealing with small details in videos. Whether you’re a professional or a hobbyist filmmaker, or just someone who enjoys capturing memories, a larger screen allows you to see your shots more clearly and make informed adjustments.
Screen size comparison between the camera’s built-in LCD vs. professional monitor (Click Here to check out this monitor)
2. Assist Tools: Camera monitors often come with a variety of assist tools, such as focus peaking, zebras, and histograms. These tools are incredibly valuable for ensuring that your shots are precise and well-exposed. Focus peaking, for example, highlights the areas in focus, helping you achieve that perfect sharpness. Histograms provide a visual representation of your image’s exposure, ensuring it’s neither underexposed nor overexposed. These tools enhance your ability to capture high-quality content.
Focus Peaking In Action – The green highlighted area represents the area in focus.
3. Viewing Angles: Viewing angles refer to how well the screen can be seen from different positions. A camera monitor with good viewing angles is crucial because it allows both you and your collaborators to view the content comfortably, even when not directly in front of the screen. This is particularly important in professional settings, such as filmmaking, where multiple people need to assess the footage simultaneously.
A monitor can enable a cinematographer to capture dramatic angles. (Click Here to check this monitor)
4. Customization Features: Customization features are like the icing on the cake. They let you tailor the camera monitor to your specific needs and preferences. Whether it’s adjusting color profiles, screen layouts, or adding on-screen markers and guides, customization features enable you to fine-tune the monitor’s functionality to suit your workflow. This flexibility boosts your efficiency and productivity which is vital on professional projects where every second counts.
Unveiling the Power of Smartphone Apps
The Monitor Plus App: A Game Changer
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly and user-friendly solution, smartphone apps are the way to go. One standout app in this category is the Monitor Plus app, available on both iOS and Android platforms. Even better, it offers a free version with limited functionality, allowing you to test its capabilities before committing. This app comes with all the bells and whistles of a professional-grade monitor, and not only that, but this is one of the very few apps that support a wired camera connection, which tends to be more reliable and lag-free as compared to a wireless connection. Some of the key features of the Monitor Plus app are as follows:
– False Color
– Vector scope
– Anamorphic Desqueez
-Custom LUTs & many more.
The drawback of the Monitor Plus app
While using apps is affordable and convenient, they come with a few challenges. Compatibility can be a roadblock, as some apps may only support specific camera brands. For instance, the Monitor Plus app exclusively caters to Sony Alpha cameras. If you’re using Canon or Nikon, you’ll need to explore other options. Furthermore, extended usage might lead to connectivity issues and even crashes. Another concern is transmission lag, Although this particular app supports wired connection for Android devices, the transmission lag is still prominent hence pulling focus accurately with this app would be a challenging task.
Exploring the Field Monitor App (iOS Only)
For Panasonic, Canon, or Nikon users, there’s another fantastic app called Field Monitor, available exclusively on iOS. This app provides almost similar features as the Monitor Plus app but for Panasonic, Canon, and Nikon camera systems. As you can see the biggest challenge in using apps is its compatibility with camera and smartphone platforms.
Elevating Your Game with Accsoon Seemo
If you’re looking for a stable and professional solution to convert your smartphone into a camera monitor then the Accsoon Seemo is your answer. This ingenious accessory offers a reliable, almost lag-free experience, leaving behind many app-based solutions. This device is available for both IOS and Android platforms, however, in this article, we will be discussing the IOS version only.
Advantages of Accsoon Seemo:
- Lightweight and Compact
- Reliable (Wired) HDMI Connection
- Loaded with Professional Features
- Come with Some Unique Features
A Closer Look at Accsoon Seemo
With the Accsoon Seemo, you can kiss goodbye to common app-related issues. It’s incredibly lightweight and connects to your camera through a wired HDMI cable, ensuring a stable and lag-free transmission. This setup provides all the professional features you’d find in a dedicated camera monitor and more.
Professional Tools Include:
- Waveform Monitor
- Focus Peaking
- LUT (Lookup Table) Support
- Zebra and False Color
- Audio Level Monitoring
- Framing Guides
- Anamorphic D-squeeze
- Composition Aid & more.
Unique Features That Set Accsoon Seemo Apart
The Accsoon Seemo boasts some exceptional features that are rarely found in traditional camera monitors:
- Pinch To Zoom: Thanks to your smartphone’s touchscreen, you can zoom in on any part of your frame to check critical focus with ease.
- Wireless Audio Monitoring: If you use AirPods, you can wirelessly monitor your camera’s audio feed—an unprecedented and convenient feature.
- Internal Recording: With the press of a button, you can simultaneously record footage on both your camera and smartphone. This feature is a game-changer, especially for content creators who want to quickly share content on social media.
- Built-in Live Stream Support: You can go live in the highest quality without the need for a capture card, making live streaming a breeze.
Addressing the One Weakness
While the Accsoon Seemo is a powerful tool, it does have one limitation—there’s no option to charge your phone while using it. If your smartphone’s battery runs low during a shoot, you’ll need to recharge it before continuing. Despite this minor drawback, the Accsoon Seemo offers unparalleled reliability and functionality.
You can check this amazon affiliated purchase link, In case you want to check it out (click here)
In the world of content creation and cinematography, innovation is constant. Turning your smartphone into a professional camera monitor is a testament to how versatile and powerful today’s technology can be. Whether you opt for a smartphone app or invest in the Accsoon Seemo, both options can elevate your shooting experience and help you achieve outstanding results.
So, the next time you’re out shooting, consider leaving your bulky monitor behind and embracing the power of your smartphone. It’s a choice that not only streamlines your setup but also keeps you at the cutting edge of cinematography.
If you’re interested in the Accsoon Seemo or have any questions, you can find more information in the description below. Feel free to leave your comments and queries, and I’ll do my best to provide timely answers. Happy shooting!